Based in Arborfield, near Reading (UK), IFIS is a not-for-profit academic publishing organisation established in 1968. We are committed to the advancement of public education and vocational training in the sciences of food and health.
Our flagship product is FSTA, a database providing high quality scientific abstracts in the fields of food science, food technology and human nutrition. Escalex is our recently developed food regulations and compliance database.
We are currently recruiting for the following roles:
The office has a friendly and comfortable atmosphere, with perks such as free fruit, dark chocolate and office birthday celebrations.
Assistant Content Manager
We are looking for an Assistant Content Manager to help in the production and development of FSTA. This is a full-time, permanent contract.
- Identifying relevant published scientific content for inclusion in FSTA in line with editorial policy.
- Assessing the quality and relevance of scientific sources
- Sourcing published content for indexing in FSTA including primary journals, but also other content types including patents, books, grey literature.
- Maintaining the quality and scientific integrity of FSTA by applying ongoing quality control practices
- Contributing to the development of FSTA from a scientific content perspective
- Providing support on FSTA scientific content to the sales and marketing teams
- Life sciences degree
- Experience using the Microsoft Office suite
- Knowledge of the scientific publishing process
- Scientific writing/editing experience
- Excellent editing skills
- Eye for detail
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills
- Team player but able to work independently
- Able to work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Able to use initiative
Desirable qualifications and experience
- Food science degree
- Higher degree
- Using Office 365 and Sharepoint
- Working with food science content
- Previous content management role
- Scientific abstracting/indexing
Competitive and dependent on experience, and 28.5 days annual holiday
16 October 2019
Interested? Get in touch
To apply, please send your CV and a covering letter to the hiring manager Gary Taylor at email@example.com
Digital Publishing Assistant (part-time, 12 month contract)
This is an interesting and hands-on opportunity that would suit a recent food science, law, or publishing (or related) graduate with a keen interest in food law. This part-time position in the Escalex product development team will support the production and publication of a new information service - Escalex News & Alerts, that meets the needs of food and drink organisations with the main aim to keep them updated with global regulatory information.
This is a part-time role (18.5 hours per week) on an initial 12 month contract.
- Research/source, analyse and filter articles from allocated resources
- Write/edit, create content for monthly News & Alerts newsletter
- Communicate with food law partners for delivery of content material
- Co-ordinate with internal/external team members to effectively execute and publish the News & Alerts newsletter
- Ensure that all articles meet the expected standards of editorial accuracy during all stages of the publishing process
- Excellent English writing/editing and proofreading skills
- Strong organisational skills with the ability to prioritise tasks
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Comfortable working independently, as part of a team and across teams
- Strong attention to detail
- Enthusiasm, initiative and a “make things happen” attitude
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Educated to degree level or equivalent
- Science/ Law degree or experience (preferred)
- Interest in food law
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Computer literate, particularly with Word
1 November 2019
The successful applicant will receive a competitive salary and 28.5 days annual holiday pro-rata. Further details on application.
Interested? Get in touch
If your skills & experience fit the above requirements and you would like to take the next step, please submit your CV and cover letter to Marta Cesar (Regulations & Compliance Manager) and Joanna Becker (Regulations & Compliance Executive) by 1 November 2019.